When consulting and using information and data from EurOBIS, the general citation for EurOBIS is as follows:EurOBIS data. European node of the Ocean Biogeographic Information System (EurOBIS).
Available online at www.eurobis.org. Consulted on 2017-04-23. When using data from EurOBIS in reports, poster, publications ..., please cite the relevant data sources.
A suggested citation for each dataset is included in the metadata.
By consulting and/or downloading data from EurOBIS, the user agrees to the following:
- To use the data for non-commercial purposes only
- Not to redistribute the downloaded data through other media, but to refer to the EurOBIS website (www.eurobis.org)
- To cite each used dataset and EurOBIS appropriately in each publication based on EurOBIS data
- To forward the citation of any publication/report that made use of EurOBIS and its available data to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in our list of references
- Not to hold neither EurOBIS nor the original data custodian liable for errors in the data. While we have made every effort to ensure the quality of the data, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of these data
The Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) manages EurOBIS, but cannot be made responsible for any errors or misuse of the data contained in EurOBIS.
Although each dataset undergoes a series of quality control procedures to assure its quality and indicate the fitness for use of the data, the EurOBIS data management team at VLIZ cannot promise that the data are without errors.
Comments from our users are very much welcomed: if you come across a possible error or incomplete information or you want to contribute to this initiative, please contact us at email@example.com. Feedback will be given to any communication concerning the EurOBIS data system and its content.
The data available within EurOBIS are free to be used for educational, scientific or research purposes under the condition they are properly cited. The data should not be used for legal, commercial or economical purposes. The term 'commercial' refers to products that will be sold, with the exception of scientific publications. The above statement also applies to the results of analyses based on the available EurOBIS data or any derived products.
Anyone can download the data, but the downloaded data should be for the sole use of the organization or the individual downloading the data. The data within EurOBIS may not be redistributed without the permission of the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ). Upon every use, the EurOBIS database and the component datasets from which data were extracted should be cited.
Regarding the citation of the individual datasets, the following guidelines should be taken into account:
- If any individual data source of EurOBIS constitutes a significant proportion of the downloaded and used records (e.g. more than 10% of the data is derived from a single source),
the individual data source should also be cited.
- If any individual data source of EurOBIS constitutes a substantial proportion of the downloaded and used records (e.g. more than 25% of the data is derived from a single source or
the data is essential to arrive at the conclusion of the analysis), the manager or custodian of this data set should be contacted.
- In any case, it may be useful to contact the data custodian directly. The data custodian might have additional data available that may strengthen the analysis or he/she might be able to provide additional helpful information that may not be apparent from the provided metadata.